Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Raw Energy


My sister bought me this gorgeous cookbook for my birthday. I was well chuffed! Ripe Recipes from Auckland's Ripe Deli, features recipes and tips on preserving and seasonal cooking. After a week of eating waaaaay too much birthday cake, I decided that their 'Raw Energy Salad' was exactly what I needed.

The main ingredient in the salad was a hell of a huge pile of beetroot. I'm a huge beetroot fan, but even if you're not I'd still wholeheartedly recommend this dish - the amazing dressing meant that it didn't taste overwhelmingly 'beetroot-ish'.






As you can see beetroot preparation results in pretty gruesome red dyed hands! A handy tip I've heard is that if you slather olive oil over your hands before preparing beetroot then they won't be stained. I always forget to try this though!

Ripe's Raw Energy Salad recipe can be found here.

3 comments:

  1. A few times I've made a raw beetroot salad with carrot, spinach, mint and feta or haloumi, beautiful. I like the addition of sunflower and pumpkin seeds for this, and the citrusy dressing sounds good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually had this with haloumi, it'd be good with feta too, yum! And I substituted the pomegranate molasses in the dressing for golden syrup, which worked a treat - IMHO!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yum! Glad you Re enjoying the book! Good tip re the beet juice too x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...