Monday, July 14, 2014

Mushroom and Barley Soup

I was inspired by this Hungry and Frozen post to make mushroom soup the other night. It was very easy to make and ended up being so delicious I thought I'd share.

You will need:
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 cloves garlic (I like things super garlicy, you might want to only use one clove, up to you!)
  • 2 cups chopped mushrooms
  • 2 slices chopped bacon (optional)
  • 1 teaspoon dried sage
  • 1 litre chicken stock
  • 1/2 cup pearl barley
  • a generous splash of white wine
  • grated parmesan and chopped parsley to serve (also optional)
To cook:
  • Heat olive oil in a heavy pot and add garlic, then mushrooms, bacon and sage. Get it all nice and sizzling, then once it's starting to get a bit sticky deglaze the pot by splashing in your wine. Lower heat and leave for a few minutes to reduce and cook.
  • Add stock and barley and bring to the boil. Simmer for around 20 minutes until the barley is cooked through and softened.
  • Once it was cooked I used a stick mix straight in the pot to blend it up slightly to create a half smooth, half chunky texture. Now you're ready to serve it up, with plenty of parmesan on top, and some chopped fresh parsley.
I managed to prepare all this while Ray was having his dinner. Then I left it simmering while doing his bath, I put him to bed, then I jumped in the bath, then it was ready to eat! Not that I ate it in the bath. I got out and ate at the table, then spent the rest of the evening on the couch. A most peaceful and relaxing Saturday evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...